These Canada Day inspired parfaits are made from layers of chia pudding, yogurt and pomegranate arils. The chia pudding at the base is only three ingredients- puréed cherries and strawberries with chia seeds. A little maple syrup would be the perfect addition for some extra sweetness.Chia pudding can basically be made from any liquid combined with enough chia seeds to plump up and turn the liquid into a gelatinous pudding. Fruits with a high enough water content to become liquified like berries work well.Small servings like this are ideal for pre- or post- workouts to consume several nutrients quickly in an easy-to-digest package. They are also a healthy option for breakfast, brunch and luncheon buffets. I used plain Greek yogurt for it’s thick texture, high protein content and probiotics but coconut or almond based yogurts are good dairy-free options.
- 1½ cups cherries, pitted and halved
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- 1½ cup plain Greek yogurt (or coconut or almond based for dairy-free)
- Optional topping: pomegranate arils or other berries
- Blend the cherries and strawberries until they are fully puréed (it should be around 1 cup of liquid) then pour them into a small bowl.
- Whisk in the chia seeds then set aside to plump up for 20 minutes, whisking once more about halfway through so lumps don't form.
- Once the chia mixture has thickened to a pudding distribute it into 4 small or 2 larger containers. Top with a layer of yogurt and some fresh berries.
- Cover with an airtight lid and store in the fridge for up to a couple days.