Sitting on the kitchen counter and sneaking bits of raw chocolate chip cookie dough as my mom baked them is one of my earliest and fondest childhood memories. While her classic recipe is still my favourite, I try to make more nutrient-dense variations like this from time to time.
This version is basically a really rich and simple energy ball variation with peanuts prepared three ways- roasted peanuts, natural peanut butter and peanut powder. Peanut powder is increasingly common and can be found near the peanut butter in most larger grocery and health food stores. It is basically made by extracting the oil from peanuts and then grounding down what is left into powder form. It can be added to water for a lower calorie and lower fat peanut butter alternative, or it can be used as a dry ingredient in baking, as I used it here.
Some dates add a natural sweetness and mini darck chocolate chips increase the dough’s treat factor. These plant-based ingredients don’t need to be cooked at all so the dough can simply be rolled into balls and consumed, though a quick session in the fridge to firm them up is nice if time allows.Mini dark chocolate chips are a great way to distribute a chocolatey flavour throughout a treat like this. The dark chocolate ones have more depth and strength of flavour but any favourite chocolate in mini chip form or chopped up into small pieces can be used.
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted (around 16 large dates)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup peanut powder
- ½ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped finely
- ½ cup mini dark chocolate chips
- *optional: a splash or a few splashes of water
- Chop the dates with a large knife until they break down and come together with a paste-like consistency. Add in the peanut butter and peanut powder and knead until fully combined.
- *With natural peanut butter it can be hard to have a consistent texture from start to finish, especially with larger jars. If you are using what is left at the bottom of the jar it may not provide enough moisture and you may need to add in a couple splashes of water until it all comes together and sticks like dough.
- Add in the peanuts and chocolate chips and continue to knead until they are distributed evenly.
- Take around 2 tablespoons at a time and roll into balls between both palms.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so they firm up.
- Store in the fridge for up to a few weeks or in the freezer for up to a few months.